Library Services for LIS
For LEEP: 800-252-1360 ext.33804
Dan Tracy, Librarian 101-B SSHEL
Sandy Wolf, Library Operations Assoc. 312 Main Library
Librarian's Office Hours
GSLIS Room 244 (next to IT Help Desk) or online
January 14 - May 1
Monday - 3:30-5:00pm
Tuesday - 10:00am-12:00pm
Wednesday - 3:30-5:00pm
Thursday - 2:30-4:30pm
Friday - 9:00-10:00am
Can't come in person...? Visit us online at the above times via the GSLIS Blackboard Collaborate Drop In Room <https://courses.lis.illinois.edu/mod/page/view.php?id=97103> You can log in with your Net ID username and GSLIS password.
Hours may vary during LEEP on-campus sessions. If these times are not convenient for you, please email email@example.com or call Dan Tracy (217-300-8439) or Sandy Wolf (217-333-3804) to schedule an appointment.
LIS 502 A/B/C: Current Awareness Paper
Assignment (reprinted from the 502 syllabus):
The following list includes journals, professional associations, government departments, foundations and not-for-profit companies, among others. The list is obviously just a beginning and, in some instances, I have given you choices—select only TEN of the numbered entities (in some cases you have a choice within that number). Please summarize its relevance to LIS by providing answers (in sentence/paragraph form) to the following questions.
- What is the overall purpose and function of this entity—what does it do?
- Provide a brief (1-2 paragraph) description of how it might be useful to you in your LIS-student role. [For example, does it have publications or conduct research that might be useful.]
The purpose of this assignment is to introduce you to a range of publishers, organizations and companies important to LIS and to guide you to the types of information it can provide to you as you learn more about this field.
3. Library Quarterly or Library Trends or Publishing Research Quarterly or Library and Information Science Research or First Monday
HINT: There's a list of national libraries in Wikipedia.
7. The American Society for Information Science and Technology or the Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing or the American Library Association or International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions or another national library or information science association of your choosing
HINT: Check these sites for links to more library associations: List of library associations in Wikipedia or Professional Associations in the Information Sciences.
8. Library Journal or Information Today (the weekly trade newspaper) or Publishers Weekly or LISNews.
HINT: Find magazines through the Online Journals and Databases (OJD) tool: http://openurl.library.uiuc.edu/sfxlcl3/az9. The Institute of Museum and Library Services or the National Science Foundation.
10. The Internet Archive
HINT: Use the LIS Virtual Library's blogs page to discover more LIS blogs.
312 Main Library, MC-522
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 333-3804
Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library
SSHEL North (Room 100) & SSHEL South (Room 101)
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61801
General Telephone: (217) 333-2305
Information Services Desk Telephone: (217) 244-1864