Beyond SciFinder: Other Resources
SciFinder Web provides bibliographic and patent information from Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) from 1907 to the present. It is available to UIUC/UIC users 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Please see the SciFinder official Web site for more information about SciFinder Web. In order to search SciFinder Web, you must be a current affiliate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and you must register for a SciFinder Web account. In addition, you must read and agree to the license agreement set forth by CAS.
You must connect to SciFinder Web via a University of Illinois IP address, that is, from on-campus locations or off campus with a VPN connection or by the proxy connection from the Chemistry Library Web page.
If you have trouble registering to use SciFinder, please contact Chemical Abstracts Service at firstname.lastname@example.org. They can reset your password and make any necessary changes to your registration information.
Tips and More
- If you do not see links to full text of articles in SciFinder, you will need to disable your browser's pop-up blocker.
- Search for the parent compound as a primary search if the derivative search fails.
- Use citations from a good, on-target article to expand your list of references.
- Find an article without limiting to preparations and check its citation list. The author most likely has cited the original preparation.
- Limit search time period to 1970-1989.
- It is NOT necessary to put the formula in Hill Order when searching SciFinder by Molecular Formula.
170 Noyes Lab
Telephone: (217) 333-3737