This course guide has two main purposes:
- To save you time in your research.
- To help make your research more successful.
For much more in-depth information on conducting historical research, please visit our guide on Library Research for History Students.
If you have any questions about this guide, or about your research for this class, then please don't hesitate to contact us!
244-0797 | m-stuart (at) illinois.edu
Collections and Services Specialist
333-9558 | gtross (at) illinois.edu
Table of Contents
- Reference Sources
- Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Almanacs and Chronologies
- Online Catalog
- Why Bother with Subject Headings
- Some Example Subject Headings
- Searching the Online Catalog
- Historical Abstracts
- Other Article Databases
- Historical Newspapers
- Africa Sources
- Current Newspapers
- Searching Historical Newspapers
- Other Source Collections
- Document Collections
- Government Publications (Including Hansards)
- Citing Your Sources
- Chicago Manual of Style
- Guides to Chicago Style
Lend your Classmates a Hand. . .
Throughout the guide you will be able to leave comments, tips, or warnings for your classmates. Feel free to post notes that you think they might find useful.