This course guide has two main purposes:
- To save you time in your research.
- To help make your research more successful.
For much more in-depth information on conducting historical research, please visit our guide on Library Research for History Students.
If you have any questions about this guide, or about your research for this class, then please don't hesitate to contact us!
244-0797 | m-stuart (at) illinois.edu
Collections and Services Specialist
333-9558 | gtross (at) illinois.edu
Table of Contents
- Video Tutorials
- Analyzing a Topic
- Search Queries in Library Databases
- General Reference Sources for History
- Other Sources for Visual History
- Online Catalog
- Public Libraries
- Why Bother with Subject Headings
- Example Subject Headings
- Searching the Online Catalog
- Shelf Browsing
- Digitized Book Collections
- America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts
- Other Article Databases
- Full-Text Resources
- Major Historical Newspapers Online
- Historical Newspaper Collections Online
- Other Source Collections
- Image Collections
- Shelf Browsing for Primary Sources
- Unpublished Primary Sources
- Citing Your Sources
- Managing Your Sources
- Guides to Chicago Style
- Chicago Manual of Style
Lend your Classmates a Hand. . .
Throughout the guide you will be able to leave comments, tips, or warnings for your classmates. Feel free to post notes that you think they might find useful.