This course guide has two main purposes:
- To save you time in your research.
- To help make your research more successful.
For much more in-depth information on conducting historical research, please visit our guide on Library Research for History Students.
If you have any questions about this guide, or about your research for this class, then please don't hesitate to contact us!
244-0797 | m-stuart (at) illinois.edu
Collections and Services Specialist
333-9558 | gtross (at) illinois.edu
Table of Contents
- Reference Sources
- Handbooks and Guides
- Literature Review
- What is a Literature Review?
- Catalogs and Indexes
- Full-Text Resources
- Locating a Book or Journal by Title
- Journal Articles
- Online Catalog
- Why Bother with Subject Headings?
- Example Subject Headings
- Searching the Online Catalog
- Digitized Book Collections
- America: History and Life
- Other Article Databases
- Labor Union Periodicals
- Finding Historical Newspapers
- Searching Historical Newspapers
- Current Newspapers
- Other Source Collections
- Digital Collections
- Print Collections
- Microform Collections
- Citing Your Sources
- Managing Your Sources
- Guides to Chicago Style
- Chicago Manual of Style
Lend your Classmates a Hand. . .
Throughout the guide you will be able to leave comments, tips, or warnings for your classmates. Feel free to post notes that you think they might find useful.