When you first log into the e-reserves system, you will not see your courses.
Course information is updated every four hours (at 2, 6, & 10).
Upcoming courses that have e-reserves become visible to enrolled students one week before the course starts.
If you add a course to your schedule, the e-reserves will not be visible until the following day.
If you are not seeing current courses that you know have e-reserves, and today was not the first time you logged into this system, please call us at 244-3773 during normal business hours.
Accessing Your E-Reserves
Starting a few hours after your initial log in, you will see a list of your current courses when you log in:
Click anywhere in a line to view a list of the reserves for that course:
Click on individual items to view the information about that item:
Click on "View this item" to access the content.
Working with a List: Sorting, Tags, and Hot List
In the Reserve Items list, you can re-sort by any column by selecting from the "Sort By" drop-down menu or by clicking on the column heading. For example, if you are working from an alphabetical bibliography, you would select "Author." If you would like to sort by the titles of individual document, instead of the main title, select "Article Title" from the "Sort By" drop-down menu.
Also, if you or your instructor have added tags to individual items, you can click on a tag at any point to see all items with that tag. Instructors may use tags to organize the content by topic (e.g.: Brazil) and/or time (week3).
At the bottom of the Reserve Items list you will see a pair of buttons that allow you to add or remove items from your Hot List:
Your Hot List includes all items you have added to your Hot List--no matter what course.
Sometimes, you will click on an item in your e-reserves list and it will take you to the SIPX website and ask you to log in. Don't worry, this is a legitimate resource to log into. The Library uses SIPX for e-reserves that we need to pay permissions for.
Items through SIPX will have a line referencing this information, which is highlighed in the image below:
All fees associated with the service are paid for by the University Library, and any data collected is only reported in the aggregate, no specific student information is shared without specific consent.
You will have to create a very simple account (consisting of only a login, name, and university email account) validating that you are a U of I student, faculty, or employee. You will receive a single email from the system to verify the email account.
To create your SIPX account:
- Click on: https://service.sipx.com/ (opens in a new tab).
- Click the "Sign up" link.
- Your name
- Email address (MUST be email@example.com)
- Password (should be different from your campus password)
If you create a SIPX account using any email address other than your firstname.lastname@example.org account, you will not be able to access the readings.
To access e-reserves via SIPX after you've created your account:
- Log into your e-reserves as usual and pick a reading.
- Some readings will display the following message: "Link is via SIPX. Info at: http://uiuc.libguides.com/reserves/sipx"
- When you click on "View this item", it will take you to a SIPX page with information about the reading.
- If it shows a big red bar, click on the "Sign in" link just below the red bar and log in (using your email and the password you chose).
- You should now be seing a big green bar...click that to get the reading.
- If you click on a SIPX link again while the SIPX session is open, you'll go straight to the screen with the big green bar.
If you still can't access your e-reserves, please call us at 244-3773 during business hours.
Instructors are encouraged to provide students with the following link to this information: