According to the Pew Internet and American Life Project, 77% of all American adults (18+) and 93% of teens (12-17) use the Internet. Of the adult users:
- 83% look for information on a hobby or interest
- 78% get news
- 67% visit a local, state, or federal government web site
- 66% buy a product
- 61% use an online social networking site like MySpace, Facebook or LinkedIn.com
- 24% use Twitter or another status update service
- 22% make a donation to a charity online
- 13% tweet on Twitter
These numbers continue to increase. Social media isn't a trend. It's now the way that people share information and stay connected.
This LibGuide was developed in conjunction with Laura L. Barnes' "Getting Started With Social Media" presentation at the 2011 Illinois Leadership Conference. Presentation slides are available in IDEALS at http://hdl.handle.net/2142/25411. She also gave this presentation as part of NEWMOA's webinar, "How P2 Assistance Providers Can Effectively Use Social Media."
Prairie Research Institute
Illinois Sustainable Technology Center
One Hazelwood Dr.
Champaign, IL 61821
ISTC office phone: (217) 333-8957
Prairie Research Institute Library desk: (217) 333-6892