About World Water Day
Objectives of World Water Day 2014
- Raise awareness of the inter-linkages between water and energy
- Contribute to a policy dialogue that focuses on the broad range of issues related to the nexus of water and energy
- Demonstrate, through case studies, to decision makers in the energy sector and the water domain that integrated approaches and solutions to water-energy issues can achieve greater economic and social impacts
- Identify policy formulation and capacity development issues in which the UN system, in particular UN-Water and UN-Energy, can offer significant contributions
- Identify key stakeholders in the water-energy nexus and actively engaging them in further developing the water-energy linkages
- Contribute as relevant to the post-2015 discussions in relation to the water-energy nexus.
The main celebrations of World Water Day 2014 will take place on 20-21 March 2014 at the UNU Headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. On this occasion, the World Water Development Report 2014 on Water and Energy will be launched, and the UN-Water "Water for Life" Best Practices Award will be given. The winner of the Stockholm Water Prize will also be announced.
United Nations' World Water Day 2014, is coordinated by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and United Nations University (UNU) on behalf of UN Water.
World Water Day on Twitter
About this Guide
This guide was developed by the Prairie Research Institute Library to accompany our temporary display featuring library materials as well as posters representing the work of the Prairie Research Institute. The guide is intended to promote information resources for research on water and energy topics. Included on this guide are books and other materials from the University Library library collection, select licensed online resources available to University of Illinois students staff and faculty, as well as many freely available web resources.
The Prairie Research Institute Library is open to the public, and all are welcome to visit the display during our regular operating hours (8:30am - 5pm Monday-Friday) from March 21 through April 25, 2014.
Institiute staff who assisted with posters for the display were Lisa Anderson Venner, Jennie Atkins, Chuck Curtiss, Patti Dickerson, Eve Hargrave, Nancy Holm, Mike Knapp, Vern Knapp, Jen Mui, Sara Olson, and Andrew Stumpf. Other libraries generously allowed us to borrow their materials for display, including Funk Library, Government Documents, the Residence Hall Libraries, and the Undergraduate Library. Bill Mischo and Jason Heldreth provided assistance with Easy Search customization. Guide review and resource suggestions came from the Prairie Research Institute librarians, Barbara Ford, Mary Mallory, and Lynn Rudasill.